To me, Fall means Slow Cooker and EVERYTHING pumpkin. The other day on my Facebook Page I declared this soup, Pumpkin and Coconut Soup, as my new favourite pumpkin “thing”. It knocked the Pumpkin Spiced Latte to second place, despite my big love of Starbucks. And, the girls loved it, so it is a win-win!
As always I tweaked the recipe, (vegetable broth instead of chicken broth) and listed them in the notes. The soup freezes and thaws very well!
And as Clean Eating says:
Coconut milk adds a rich, creamy texture to this cold-weather soup (even though we’ve opted for low fat!).
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp chile powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 3 C low-sodium chicken broth *
- 3 C pumpkin puree or pure pumpkin (or squash or sweet potato)**
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 C light coconut milk ***
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- My additions
- I 15 oz can of white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 chopped apple
- Toppings (I skipped)
- ¾ C nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 6 Tbsp raw pumpkin seeds
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium-high. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add cinnamon, chile powder, cumin, and nutmeg and cook for about 1 minute, stirring frequently, until fragrant. Add broth and pumpkin and whisk until incorporated and smooth, adding up to 1 cup water if broth is too thick (soup should coat the back of a spoon).
- Bring to a boil, reduce from heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. (Add beans and apple if using.)
- Remove from heat and add lime juice. Stir in coconut milk and season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle 1.5 cups soup into each of 6 bowls. Top each with 2 Tbsp yogurt and 1 Tbsp pumpkin seeds and serve immediately.
With pumpkin puree on sale now, stock up, because you will be making this soup all Fall and Winter.
What is your favourite pumpkin thing?