Our morning routine, in the summer, is non existent. We get up and and take our time. But every once in awhile, we’ll have an appointment, play date, or something that requires us to motor.
For those mornings, I like a quick, easy, but nutritious breakfast and often fall back on the The Healthy Drop Cookie. While they are great, we needed something else.
After finding and making and loving Applesauce Spiced Protein Bars, we’ve got another great on-the-go breakfast, or snack.
What was awesome about these is the lack of sugar and fats, and the FULL TASTE. Yum! Yum!
They were super easy to make and freeze and thaw just fine. I made a batch for our camping trip, and they were a perfect snack during a hike.
- 1 cup whey or other protein powder (remember to check for sugar on the nutrition label)
- ½ cup spelt flour*
- 2 cups rolled oats, do not use instant
- ½ cup oat bran**
- ½ cup coarsely ground flax seed
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ cup apple butter
- ¼ cup agave nectar
- 1½ cups unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup safflower oil
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Put all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Beat all wet ingredients together in another medium-sized bowl until well blended.
- Add wet to dry ingredients. Mix until all ingredients are well blended.
- Prepare a 13×9 inch metal pan. Place mixture into pan and press to smooth evenly.
- Place in oven and bake for about 20-25 min. or until golden on top and firm in the middle.
p.s. Isn’t this new recipe plugin AWESOME?